Here's a little more info on the charity I donated my hair to, straight off their website:
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.
When Audri was 4, she also donated her hair to Locks of Love. At the time, her Uncle Kevin had lost his hair due to chemotherapy. We visited Kevin, and Audri saw him without his hair. She understood that there were children out there who could benefit from her hair. I just thought it would be something productive to do with my hair, since I'm often indecisive about what to do with it (grow it out, cut it short, etc.).
2 comments:
This is really neat, Charity. Thanks for the extra info. Unfortunately (for many reasons, some more obvious than others) I believe I'll have to choose another way to serve others. :-)
Ha! Ha! Ed. Maybe they'll take nose hair!! :)
Post a Comment