Friday, March 7, 2008

Audri's Golden Birthday Party

Sunday, Audri turns 9 on the 9th, her Golden birthday, so tonight she had her Golden Birthday Party. We decorated the Dining Room with Gold decorations. As the girls arrived they did a craft, then we played some games, including a treasure hunt where they "followed the rainbow" to the pot of gold (the goodie bags).
The evening included dinner for the 8 3rd grade girls in attendance (Eliza's at the table as well). The gourmet meal consisted of mini corn dogs, potato chips, strawberries and veggies with dip (the veggies were mostly to make me feel better). Don't be fooled by those little bodies, they had no problem downing the food!!!
Audri opted for brownie sundaes instead of a cake, which was just fine by me!!! So, I wrote in the brownies with white chocolate and stuck the candles in them as well. It's hard to believe Audri is 9 (ok, she will be on Sunday)!!!!!
Thought I'd take the chance to tell you about the new birthday tradition in our house. A little before Dailie's birthday, Rick and I went on a date (a nice thing to do now and then). I got to plan the evening, so we got gyros for dinner and then went to Fired Up, a "paint your own pottery" studio in Peoria Heights. We decided to paint a Celebration Plate and mug (the mug is large enough to be used as a soup bowl). We plan to use them for multiple occasions, including birthdays. It was decided that the plate should be used for the entire week of someone's birthday. Dailie was the first to get to use them. We think it will be a fun tradition, another way of celebrating a member of the family on their birthday. By the way, I painted the plate and Rick painted the mug. We'll have to post a picture of the mug eventually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like a lot of fun. I love your tradition. Maybe I will have to copy your idea. Happy Birthweek Audrey!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Audri!!! I can't believe you are nine! I hope you had a fun day with all of your friends. Let us know more about what you did.

Rick and Charity - that was a great idea about the plate and mug! I'm sure it makes each child feel sooooo special. We may have to steal your idea as well.