Saturday, July 11, 2009

Deep Fried Jeffs, Anyone?

Paula Dean, or any Southern cook for that matter, will tell you that anything is better fried, and for the most part I would have to agree. Today, I discovered an exception- children are not better fried. I don't know what is wrong with my brain. I'm pretty good at remembering sunscreen when we go anywhere with water, but if we go anywhere else where we plan to spend the entire afternoon in the sun, I seem to forget that we might just get sunburned. Today was such a day. We went as a family to the Peoria Air Show, and let's just say we're all a little red this evening. We really had a great time, and got to see some really cool airplanes. It's especially fun to go to something like this when you have a resident expert. Rick, in my opinion, is an expert on airplanes. The world of aviation has been opened way up to me since marrying this man. I really had no idea there were so many things to know about airplanes. Anyway, I've got lots of pictures, so I hope you're ready. I do not have any pictures, however of the fried children (oh, and the parents are fried too. Only, we were wearing sunglasses, so we also look like racoons).
Here we are (well, I'm taking the photo, not in it) waiting to go inside a C-130 Hercules. There are some of these here in Peoria with the National Guard Airlift Unit.

And here we are in front of one of the Thunderbirds' F-16s. The Thunderbirds were the main attraction at the air show today. They were quite impressive.



The kids in the cockpit of the C-130 Hercules.




Daniel met up with a few friends. I could go on and on about him, but let's just say he was hilarious. Before we left home, he was told that he'd see some stormtroopers. He insisted on taking his light saber, so that he could get them. He was a little nervous at first about getting too close to these guys, but by the end he was asking them where there ship was. Of course, one of them told him it was over by the other planes, and then Daniel kept bugging us to take him over to see the stormshooter's (this is what he calls them) ship.




Here are a few shots of the Thunderbirds. They really were amazing. We had to wait for quite awhile to see them, and the kids were getting impatient, but in the end I think they all were glad that we had waited for the show. Audri, Eliza and Daniel were even playing Thunderbirds when we got home this evening. What a fun day!

3 comments:

Mrs. Mike said...

Blast! I meant for us to go to the air show this year!

Andrea said...

Looks like it was fun! We have been listening to the planes fly over the hardware store for the past few days and today we are going to climb up on the roof and watch! Can't wait!

Tera said...

It looks like you guys have been doing LOTS of fun things. I had to get caught up today! Thanks for sharing your adventures.