Saturday, June 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Kevin!!

Monday of our trip was Kevin's birthday. Tera had a great idea for a way to celebrate. Those who were able met at the Provo Cemetary at 5 pm MT. Other family members across the country gathered at the same time. We all wrote messages to Kevin on helium balloons and let them off, at roughly the same time in Utah, Illinois, Missouri and Maryland. It was a great way to feel united in the celebration.
We also built a cake Kevin would have been proud of. It was a very tall cake with layers of cake, ice cream and cereal. To say Kevin liked cereal is an understatement. Kevin was a cereal fanatic. He ate cereal anytime of the day that he felt like it. So, with the chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream we layered Cocoa Pebbles. We also sprinkled them on the outside of the frosted cake.
Dallin and Dailie were in their camps at the time of the celebration, but we didn't want them to be left out. I picked up some balloons at Campus Craft and Floral in the Wilkinson Center and sent them with Dailie to her camp. She was able to release hers shortly after 5 pm. I couldn't get Dallin's balloons directly to him, so I left them pinned to a bulletin board in Rogers Hall. I thought to snap a photo of them. Unfortunately when Dallin went to get the balloons, he discovered that someone had decided to pop them. It was disappointing, but Dallin participated in thought anyway.
I hope this practice becomes tradition. It was a great way to remember a great guy. A guy who loved fun, and family, and parties, and celebrations. I definitely think he would have approved, and I think he was celebrating with us.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What a great way to remember someone who was so loved! (hugs)