Sunday, January 25, 2009
Prepositions
My kids don't seem to get prepositions. They just don't seem to understand their meanings. For example, if I ask "will you please put your dishes IN the dishwasher?", they often put them ON the dishwasher. "Please go TO bed" is often interpreted as go TOWARD bed. "Put your clothes IN the hamper" must be heard as NEAR the hamper, and "please get IN the car" seems to mean, again to only move TOWARD the car. Some other examples: Practice piano BEFORE you play= AFTER you play, again put your shoes IN the closet= NEAR the closet, keep your hands OFF your sister= ON your sister, etc. I just wandered if anyone else ever sees this phenomenon. Maybe I should look into the school's curriculum. I'm sure there must be someone to blame!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank you for explaining this to me. I thought that Luke just wasn't listening, but now I see that he simply doesn't get prepositions, either.
Mystery solved!! I too have this problem around my house. Now that I know the root of it, maybe I can begin to fix it the RIGHT way.
Why don't they cover prepositions in Kindergarten (and again in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.)? We must tell the schools right away!
Post a Comment