Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lots of Snow, Freezing Temps and FHE

I've been trying to think of something to post about lately. We woke up to a lot of snow. The temperatures are pretty low, and dropping even farther. The high tomorrow is 0. Wind chill is supposed to be -25 tonight. Thank goodness for our house. I can't even imagine living on the frontier in weather like this. Here's a picture of our patio table, piled high with snow:


The FHE part of the title is because I thought I'd share a little something we've found helpful. A few years ago we decided to plan out our whole year of FHE (Family Home Evening). When you first hear that, you might think we're crazy, but it's really not as hard as it first sounds. As a matter of fact, it makes things much better in the long run. We have often picked "themes", and just filled in the blanks. For example, this year we've decided to study the parables Christ. We picked out the ones we wanted to do, and stuck them in their slots for the year. Dallin needs to do a certain number of lessons for Duty to God, so we put them in. We like to do a wholesome recreational activity once a month, so that was another 12 done. We have special b'day FHEs where we focus on the member of our family whose b'day is coming up. There's another 7 for us. Before you know it, we have 52. Of course throughout the year we're flexible if something needs to be changed, but it's so much more likely to happen if there is a plan. It has worked well for us, and I just thought I'd share. What has worked well for you and your family?

No comments: