Sunday, November 9, 2008

Thank You!

I can't currently think of any Californians that I know of who read my blog, but I wanted to post a thank you to Californian Latter-day Saints, as well as others who worked so hard in campaigning for Proposition 8. I believe in the sanctity of marriage, and that the family is the building block of society. Marriage between a man and woman is a central part of God's plan for us here on Earth. I have been very eager to see the outcome of the vote on Prop 8 in California, and was relieved to see that it passed, defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman. BUT, I have been saddened and disheartened by the outcrys and protests made by those against the measure who have singled out the LDS Church as the target of their protests. I have watched videos of the protests outside of the LA temple, with the word "bigots" spray painted on its outer gates, signs posted saying "go back to Utah", chants of "tax the Mormon Church", and wondered "do we not live in a democracy? Did this not go up to vote, for the people to decide? I realize the vote was close (52% to 48%), but the majority DID vote to pass Proposition 8 (and they certainly were NOT all Mormons- California is not anywhere near 52% LDS)." And so, back to my gratitiude. I knew there were members of the Church working hard prior to the election, but now I have so much more appreciation for what they did, and what they continue to stand for. I applaud ANYONE in California (or anywhere in the USA) who is able to stand up at this time and remain firm in their standing to support the institution of marriage, inspite of the ugliness that is going on. Thank you for standing up. Here in Illinois, I stand with you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it better. I agree with everything that you said and pray for those in California that are having to endure persecution for defending truth and virtue. The protestors have their reward.

Lewis Times said...

Amen! I was watching it more closely than the presidental election. It was making me uneasy to wake Wed and hear it was so close!

Amy T said...

Great post, Charity!

mattandhonor said...

Greatfully Florida passed Prop 2-the same measure. We had a better margin, but I was also frustrated with the protesting in California. It was a good opportunity to teach my big boys that you shouldn't handle things that way in this country. After all, we're all about freedom and freedom goes both ways. You don't harrass people simply because they believe something different than you.