Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Passing on Good Stuff

I've been hearing about this idea for awhile. A quick, inexpensive place to go for things like strep tests, and school physicals, etc. I heard an advertisement for a take care clinic at Walgreens about a month ago and was curious. So, when Daniel showed signs of strep on a Saturday morning, I decided to try it out. It was a great experience. This morning I woke up thinking I had strep. My doctor's office didn't open until 8:30, and I had no idea when I'd get an appointment after that. At 7:55 I left my house. At 8:55 I returned to my house, having had a strep test performed, come back positive, received a prescription for an antibiotic, and picked up the prescription. All in an hour. And they take my insurance, as well as many others!! The clinic is run by ONE person. Either a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant. They have touch screen computers that you check yourself in with, and then the NP or PA do all the rest. Both that I had were very nice, and seemed totally competent. The total charge for the visit with strep test was $82. I don't know yet how much my insurance will pay. Right now they are offering camp and sports physicals for $35. That's what I call the free market doing it's part to help out on Health care reform.

Look for one in your area. You may just save time and money. Just passing on a good thing.

3 comments:

Amy Rose said...

I've heard the ads for that as well, and wondered what it was about. Thanks for passing along the info!

Amy T said...

ARRGh, strep throat! At least you got on the meds a couple days before your trip. Let's hope Rick doesn't get it!

Unknown said...

Looks like it's not available in our area, although the guy I carpool with has described similar services offered by CVS in our area.

Sorr that you've got strep. Good luck!