Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Home

I was able to make a brief visit to Crawfordsville, Indiana today, to my childhood home, and where my parents still live. It was rejuvenating in a way I had not expected. As children, I think we tend to think everyone lives the way we do. I knew there were people who lived in the city, or in apartments, or even in a neighborhood, but I didn't really comprehend it. Still, when I thought of home, anyone's home, this is the picture that came to my mind. A home tucked away in the woods, with nature abundant around me. I have grown to appreciate the life I was given as a child. I loved it then, but took it for granted.

This is a view of my "neighborhood". Or at least the way it looked at the height of the summer. I longed for friends to live close enough that I could walk or even ride my bike to their house. Now I yearn for open fields for my children to run in, and country roads for them to ride their bikes down. Perhaps the lesson to be learned is to find the joy in whatever you are given, knowing others can find joy in what they are given as well, no matter how different it is from what you know.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

aahhhh...the country...;-) How lucky for you to have grown up there ;)

Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

Thanks Charity for the post. I often need a reminder to have joy in what I have been given.