Fix it up,
wear it out,
make it do,
or do without!

I was raised on thrift. My dad was a school teacher, and I was the 5th of 7 children. My mom stayed home, taught piano lessons, and learned and lived by the value of the saying above. There are many in society these days, wishing they knew a little more about thrift. I laugh when I hear tips on how to save money, like on the radio, etc. because I've known about these "hidden secrets" for years (eat out less often, don't get that manicure, clip coupons, buy generic, etc...). Of course thriftiness is much more charming when it is not a necessity, and I am grateful that for most of our married life, we've been very blessed. The first few years were leaner times, but now my habits of thrift are just that, habit, more than necessity, and admittedly some have even gone by the wayside (sometimes I buy something at one store, even if I know I can get it cheaper somewhere else, because it's more convenient). So, why the picture of the laundry basket? I take pride in this laundry basket, I must admit. 17 years ago I bought this at a yard sale for 50 cents, just after I graduated from High School, in anticipation of heading to college. I still use it today. It's my little reminder to fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!!
4 comments:
Impressive...makes me think about what I can do to be a bit more thrifty.
great post, Charity. It comes naturally to some to know the ways of thrift, especially if you were raised to think that way. It is funny to hear people get so excited about these "new" ways to save money that seem so basic and natural to those who have been implementing them for years! But, hey, they gotta start somewhere!
I'm impressed that the laundry basket had lasted for 17+ years! You must not do much laundry Charity. hehehe :) just kidding
I know I'm very grateful right now that I have learned and know how to be thrifty. It is pretty funny to me to think about "not getting a manicure" as being thrifty. I guess we all have our own ways of being extravagant. :)
Post a Comment