Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Grandpa is 90 Today

Today is my Grandpa David Thompson's 90th birthday. I thought I would make mention of it here on my blog. Here's a couple of pictures I dug up. I think the first one is from his 70th birthday, though I'm not sure, and the second is he and my Grandma with my dad at college graduation (maybe his Masters?).

Fond memories of Grandpa:
  • picking blueberries with him
  • playing catch in his backyard with his collie Jolly
  • watching him play basketball- he was a high school star, and always loved the game
  • watching him play horseshoes with his brothers at family reunions
  • eating his homemade ice cream
  • working with him in the garden- a lot of memories with Grandpa involve work, because he knew how to work hard, and he taught us to as well
  • getting roses in 8th grade from a secret admirer- pretty sure it was my Grandpa who worked at a florist shop at the time
  • singing with him on Christmas Eve

It's important to me to try and savor these memories because although Grandpa is still here on the Earth with us, his body is old and tired, and his mind is not as sharp. It's a hard thing to watch someone who has lived a long and full life slowly deteriorate. Because I know there is a happy and peaceful place for us to go when this life is through, I sometimes wonder if it is wrong for me to wish that he could move on. I wonder what the purpose is to dragging on a life that seems to me to be complete. I love Grandpa, and know that it will be sad to see him go, and yet I know it will be happy when he can play ball again, throw a horseshoe with his brother who has gone before him, and most importantly enjoy the memories of those times once again.

Happy 90th, Grandpa!!!

2 comments:

Amy T said...

Thank you, Charity. That is a beautiful tribute to Grandpa. Thanks for reminding me of his "younger" years. I too would love to see him be able to be active and witty again, which will happen when he passes on. I believe he believes this too.

I have a great memory of taking him to the theater in C'ville when Hoosiers came out! What fun that was for him and us!

Charity said...

Thanks for the reminder about the movie. That was a lot of fun.