Monday, September 8, 2008

One Wacky Dog


We have a crazy dog- Frodo. Dogs are by nature a little odd, I'll agree, but Frodo has a few characteristics that I believe set him apart from the rest. I know many of you have heard these things about Frodo, but I really thought together they might make an entertaining post...


1. Frodo likes to hunt flies. He really likes to eat them as well, dead or alive. He will bark at a fly that is sitting too high for him to catch, and he will snap at flies in the air. In his younger days (he's almost 5), he could even catch them out of the air. The most hilarious thing to watch is he and Dallin on the hunt. When Frodo sees Dallin get the fly swatter, he is right at his side, just as I imagine Old Dan and Little Ann with Billy ("Where the Red Fern Grows"). Then, the hunt begins. As soon as Dallin swats that fly, Frodo gobbles him up off the ground. Weird. Gross.


2. Frodo loves crayons. No, he does not color beautiful pictures, or anything marketable like that, he eats them as well. At first I thought he just liked to chew up stray ones he found lying around, under a table where a child had been coloring. But no, Frodo will seek out crayons and eat them. Once, he even ripped open a brand new box of crayons to get at them. It makes for a colorful backyard, if you smell what I'm stepping in (I got that saying from Lee : ), thanks, Lee).


3. Frodo is very afraid of cardboard boxes. It all started when he was just a puppy. Rick was assembling a large bookcase, and had bought the kit at Lowe's. The kit was in a very tall cardboard box, probably 7 feet tall. Rick brought it in from the garage, pushing it in front of him as he moved down the hall. What he didn't know is that the new little puppy was at the end of the hall, watching this tall brown box come towards him. He was back peddling as fast as he could into the corner, frantically trying to get away from the box, peeing the whole time. Since then, we've tried several things to "cure" him of this fear, with no luck. He still freaks out when the UPS man delivers something to the door, and will avoid going through the entryway for as long as the box sits there. You can imagine his horror when we moved from Lafayette to Peoria. Strange men came to our house and put everything in large cardboard boxes!!! Poor dog.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard of animals chasing flies before. In fact, Stewart the cat would do that on occasion too. But the crayons and boxes? Now those are truly remarkable. Cardboard boxes could come in real handy to protect valuables, then I suppose?

Anonymous said...

I know that this comment might seem weird, but you talking about your weird dog makes me even more envious that I don't have one!

Charity said...

we'll Sarah, it's too bad you weren't successful years ago at catching a squirrel (in your unique "trap" - a hole in the ground with a pile of dirt by the side, while you waited for a squirrel to wander in so you could push dirt on top of him), because then you could be the proud owner of a pet squirrel. : )

Charity said...

That last comment was Rick - forgot Charity was the one logged on.

Lee Deppermann said...

I'm glad to see that my better qualities are rubbing off on you Charity

Vanderlinden Clan said...

Hey Charity- What a strange twist of fate that we would end up being related. Oh by the way this is Elder Vanderlinden. I still remember going to your house in Lafayette, to enjoy a nice home cooked meal. Lafayette was one of my favorite areas. It all clicked when my sister-in law (Erin) asked me if I knew you. I said yeah the Jeffs we ate there all the time.....wait a minute the Jeffs thats your last name!!!!!!!! I have yet to go back to Indiana. I have always wanted to go to the covered bridge festival. What took you guys to illinois? How much longer did you stay in Indiana? I was actually hoping we would come into contact with each other because after I left the area I told my Grandparents about meeting you guys, in a letter of course. She was delighted to find out about her son (my uncle Denny) leaving a lasting impression on someone in Indiana. After I left the area I lost your families contact info. . Needless to say my Grandma was was disappointed. It has been one of those things that has been nagging at me. Sooooooo, if at all possible can I get your parents contact info again?????? Any sorry about the random thoughts, it tends to be the way I write:) One more random thought, Do you remember Elder Daily??? He was the one hit by a car as a child and walked with a limp??? Anyway he moved to Bountiful where I live and works night at our local grocery store. He is married and has two kids :)