And then later that night, after the kids were in bed, and as I waited for Rick to return from a Priesthood Leadership Meeting, I got a phone call from the Relief Society President. She informed me that a dear family in the ward had lost their tiny baby girl who was born very premature last week. She wanted to know if I would go with her to the hospital. There was no hesitation, no thought of what else needed to get done as I told her yes. We went and did our best to comfort our grieving sister. I prayed that I would both say the right thing, and not say the wrong thing. It felt very close to heaven, standing in that room with those loving parents, griefing over the loss of their tiny baby girl. I felt like an invader on their sacred moment, a feeling I was reminded of having once before as I sat in the corner of another hospital room with Kevin and Tera, witnessing that same love that is eternal, that reaches beyond the grave and deep into the centers of not just our bodies, but our souls. In my everyday life, if you asked me what experiences I wished to have in my life, chances are I would not include bathing a tiny newborn's lifeless body, or witnessing the last days of a brother-in-law who was really much more like a brother. Those would probably not even make the top 50, and yet I will never trade those experiences that I have now had. The opportunity to see and glimpse into the eternities and feel the closeness of heaven is a wonderful reminder of things that matter most.
In moments of tragedy it seems "easy" to remember the things that matter most. It's in the business of day to day that it seems much more challenging. Next week the basment will seem important to me again, and yet I wonder if He who is our greatest example would let such a thing concern Him so much. How can I look to Him more often to spend my time and energy on the things that matter most? One of my favorite Primary songs provides some guidance. I know this post is already long, but I want to include the lyrics anyway.
I’m trying to be like Jesus; I’m following in his ways.
I’m trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,
Love one another as Jesus loves you. Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought, For these are the things Jesus taught.
I’m trying to love my neighbor; I’m learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:
Love one another as Jesus loves you. Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought, For these are the things Jesus taught.
I hope this post ended up making sense. I know some of the things might seem disconnected, but it's all connected in my brain, and I was hoping to convey that a little.
6 comments:
Hey Charity, I really appreciate this post. My week this week is proving to be quite full with two very important meetings with faculty, a Pinewood Derby to oversee, a Klondike Derby (thank goodness just the Cub Scout trail) which are all things that are above and beyond a typical week for me.
Your post moved me to be more aware "of things that matter most" in my life at this time, and to be appreciative of the experiences that have blessed my life as well.
Yes, your post made perfect sense to me. I hope you have a good week. Thanks for brightening mine.
Wow. Beautifully written, and thanks for the perspective.
Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about these things, too. I have held my kids a little tighter and counted a few more blessings lately!
Thank you Charity. You always have a way of speaking to my heart in a way that makes so much sense. I look up to you so much and I hope that I can be half as good of an example to someone else that you are to me.
Hi Charity, great post and great comments. I second them all! Miss you!
For some reason, I didn't see this post until just today. It made a lot of sense. I loved that talk and have constantly been trying to focus on things that are most important. You are such a Christ-like person. I hope that one day I can be more like you!
Post a Comment