Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back to My Roots


This is where I grew up.
Do you understand now why sometimes I yearn for space to run, to be away from the subdivision scene, to be out in nature?

I spent the first part of this week in Indiana. Is it because I'm getting older that I have such deep feelings of nostalgia when I "go back to my roots". Even though I feel like I share a lot with them, I'm beginning to realize that my children don't know as much about me as a kid as I think they should know. I was determined to help them become a part of my past this trip. Rick and Dallin left for the Boy Scout High Adventure trip in Canada Friday afternoon. Shortly after that, the rest of the kids and I loaded up in the truck (they took the van), and drove to my sister's house in Crawfordsville.

The next morning we drove South to Patoka Lake State Park, where the Day (my mom's maiden name) Family Reunion was held. I hadn't been to this reunion for 6 years, since moving to Illinois. It was good to see my extended family that I hadn't seen for so long, and it was fun to be in that part of the state. None of the 3 hour drive was by way of Interstate. I thought that was going to be a real pain, in the truck. It turned out to be a real treat. We drove through the area where Rick and I spent our honeymoon, and past Bloomington, where my sister Amy and her family lived for several years. There were plenty of memories flooding my mind as I drove, and it just seemed like the right way to travel across the Hoosier state.
Eliza and Audri with their cousin, Emily, who we took along with us for the reunion.
The kids had fun in the lake, while I sat in the sand and caught up with my cousin.

Sunday I attended Church in the Ward I grew up in (it was a Branch for the first decade of my life, or close to that, anyway). It was great to look around at and talk with so many people who had been a part of my growing up. A former Bishop, a YW leader who decorated cakes- perhaps she was my inspiration for that, a sister who sewed A LOT, and I know was an influence on my sewing hobby, the father of my friend who died of leukemia at the age of four and who was very supportive to my parents when I was in the hospital from my car accident. On and on.

That afternoon the kids went with me to visit my 91 year old Grandpa. He's in a Nursing Home, but not on any medications, and his grip is still strong. He doesn't remember everything perfectly, but I tried to talk to him about memories with him, like picking gallons of blueberries with him in the summertime, and playing with his collie dog, Jolly in the backyard. The upturned corners of his mouth showed me that he was remembering something, and I knew I was. After that, I took the kids by my old Elementary School, which is now an apartment building, my Grandparents' house, and my Great-Grandpa's house, where I remember running down the hill and swinging on the willow tree. The willow tree is gone, and hill isn't as big as I remember it, but the memories came flooding back just the same.
My kids spent a lot of time with these furry friends. They couldn't get enough of them. Three new little kittens, not even a month old, their mama, and one other cat. I couldn't help but think of all the many cats that we had had while I was growing up, as well as the many litters of kittens that I had snuggled and loved.
Monday we spent the day on Sugar Creek, tubing with the Jensens and their friends the Sommers. The water was so slow, that the trip that normally takes 3 hours took more like 7!! It was tons of fun, though.
Tuesday was mine and Rick's 17th anniversary, but he was in Canada, so I went out to lunch with my mom and sister, Rachael instead. We had a great time talking and reconnecting. The picture's a little funny. We look like fish in a bowl, but that's ok. It shows we were together.
Most of the rest of time was spent like this, hanging out at either my mom's or my sister's house. Talking, laughing, enjoying family. It was a great time to reconnect with my roots, and share them with my children.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this post and agree that we must be on the same page lately. I guess now is as good a time as any to reflect on the past. :-)

The Linabooty's said...

the mid west is best! Didn't want to pry last night but hope your less stressed today:)

Amy T said...

Great post, Ch! Love you!

Tera said...

It was fun to learn a little more about you. Thanks for sharing!