Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, America!!


I loved having the 4th of July on Sunday. I realize that it puts a damper on some of the festivities, but I love the focus that it gives to the holiday. Some of our greatest freedoms that we enjoy as a nation are the freedom of religion and the freedom to assemble, both of which we exercise when we gather for Church on Sunday. Plus, I love singing all the verses of the "Star Spangled Banner" as a congregation. I love standing, thinking about the words, and pondering the blessings and freedoms I enjoy because I live in this great nation. As I began singing the alto line on the 2nd verse, my mind turned back the years to my High School swim team days. Each home swim meet, my sister Amy and I sang the National Anthem, a capella. She sang the melody and I sang the harmony. It's one of my happiest memories from High School.

You see, the title of this post is really twofold. Amy's full first name is America, and her birthday was June 25. I wanted to make a special post for her birthday, but that was during the second time I had the computer in, so it didn't happen. It will fit in nicely here, I think.

Amy and I are only 14 months apart in age. Although she's always been a brunette, and I a blond, we were often mistaken for twins. We shared a room until we were 13 and 14, and we have many happy memories of childhood together. We sang Primary songs to each other when we couldn't fall asleep, and I remember many nights waking Amy up to see if she needed to go to the bathroom. There was an unspoken rule. Even if you didn't have to go, you said you needed to and went anyway, because when you really needed to go, you didn't want to walk to the bathroom by yourself in the dark either. On long summer days, we used to tie our arms and/or legs together (her right, my left, or vice versa), and stay like that the majority of the day. It was great having a friend like that around all the time.

I'm about 3, Amy 2.
Running down the long driveway from the school bus.

As we grew into High School, things changed in our relationship a little. I can't say that we ever tied our arms or legs together down the halls of North Montgomery, nor did we have the desire to. We didn't fight, we just pulled apart a little. One thing we still did a lot together was sing. I've never found anyone whose voice mine blends with in quite the same way. Amy always sang soprano, and I always sang alto. I loved singing those harmonies together. I guess we went from tying our appendages together to tying our voices together. I'm sure that's one of the reasons singing for those swim meets is one of my happiest memories.

We remained pulled apart through each of our early years of marriage, but as we had our babies (she also has 5), that distance shortened. Our oldest daughters are just 11 months apart from each other, and we'd talk about how they'd be friends just like we were. Now Amy lives 1000+ miles away, and almost everyday I wish she lived across the street. I wish when I was scared or apprehensive about doing something, that I could ask her to do it with me, just like I used to with the bathroom in the night. She wouldn't draw attention to my fear, because she'd need the same support sometime, and know that I would give it. We call each other often, and our kids know to expect a motherhood drought when we do- it's bound to be a LONG conversation. That helps, and modern conveniences like texting and IMing have made it even easier to stay in touch with our busy lives, but it's not the same as tying your arms or legs together.

I'm really grateful for America in my life, both the nation and my sister. Both have had that kind of underlying influence that is easy to overlook, or take for granted. But as I reflect on where I've gained my strength throughout my life, I recognize that much of it has come from America.

Happy Birthday, America!!

2 comments:

Amy T said...

Wow, you're a great writer, Charity! That was a beautiful post; thanks for the kind words and the trips down memory lane! I miss you and I love you! Amy

Michelle said...

Hi, Charity. :) Just days after emailing you, i literally stumbled across your blog. Bizarro. Anyway, I will add myself to your minions, if that is amenable to you. You have a super cute family, and you look like a million bucks!