Monday, February 8, 2010

Decadent Petit Fours

As promised, the recipe, as found in Jan. 1994 edition of Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks: Appetizers and Snacks. I changed a few things, and added the vanilla icing, based on their chocolate icing recipe:

CAKE
1 pkg. devil's food cake mix
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream

CHOCOLATE ICING
6 oz., or 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 can Fudge frosting
1 t. vanilla

VANILLA ICING
6 oz. white chocolate, or 1 cup white chocolate chips
1 can cream cheese frosting
(I THINK I left the vanilla out, because of the color, but I can't remember for sure....sorry)

Heat oven to 350. Line 15X10X1 baking pan with waxed paper, extending over the short sides. Grease and flour the waxed paper. Combine cake ingredients at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly; freeze cake for 30-45 minutes.

Remove cake from pan; remove waxed paper. Cut cake in half (you will only use one half for one icing recipe, wrap and refreeze the other half). Cut cake half into 48 (1 1/4 in.) squares; place back on pan, and stick back into the freezer while you prepare the icing.

Melt chips in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Add frosting and vanilla, if using. Mix well to combine. Heat 1 to 2 minutes or to desired dipping consistency, stirring constantly (*a note from me: I'm not sure what I would thin it down with (maybe just water), but the next time around I'd like to experiment with getting the icing a little thinner).

Place wire rack on sheet of waxed paper. Remove 4-5 cake squares from the freezer at a time. To ice, spear with fork or toothpick. Hold cake square over pan, spoon icing over cake, twirling to coat all sides, except the bottom. Place on wire rack. Reheat icing over low heat as it thickens. (*another note from me: this is the tricky part. I tried lots of methods. Stabbing the cakes from the sides results in a hole on the side with no frosting. Stabbing them from the bottom provides a challenge getting it onto the wire rack. I even tried pouring the icing onto the cakes with the white. This was by far the easiest, but not the prettiest. It was challenging to coat all sides with this method. Probably my favorite method was just placing the cake square on a fork, over the pan, and pouring the icing on it, coating all sides. This made it easy to then transfer to the wire rack. Again, I think the icing could have been thinner, and I would experiment with this next time.)

Garnish the tops quickly (the icing hardens fast, making it difficult for things to stick) with sprinkles, candy or piped frosting. The possibilities are endless!!

Best of luck, and please let me know if you try them!!!

*Amy, seems like if you had a gluten free cake mix, this could work fine, don't you think?

1 comment:

Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

Yea, I think it should work fine with a gluten free cake mix. Betty Crocker makes a great chocolate one but it is not devil's food. I want to try them sometime.