Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How Often Does That Happen?


How many times have you taken your car in and left spending less time and money than you anticipated? I took the van in this morning to Midas on Glen and War Memorial for an oil change. It's also been making this whistling/squealing noise that I was concerned about. A few months ago I had taken it to Toyota, where I had taken the van since we first bought it, for routine maintenance and mentioned the sound. They told me there was a belt that needed replacing. After talking to Rick we decided to call Midas, where he had been taking his truck, and compare prices for replacing the belt. Midas was cheaper, so we went there. Midas told me then that the belt was fine. The front brakes, however, needed to be replaced. The noise has increased in frequency since that visit, so I thought I should mention it again when I took the van in for another oil change. They checked the belt again today and told me that the belt was making the noise, and that I could replace them (actually 2 belts) for $129. He then told me that they were not BAD, just noisy. I asked him if I would just be paying $129 to stop the noise, and if everything else was fine. He said, that yes, that was the case. I asked how I would know when the belts needed to be replaced. He said that they would keep an eye on them and check them out at each oil change. Seriously, how many places do you know who would have told you that you could save the $129 and deal with the noise? In my experience, most mechanics would have said, "yeah, those belts are making the noise and need to be replaced." The end, right? Is that also your experience? I was thrilled to walk away, only paying for an oil change. I'll save that chunk of change and deal with my squeaky belts. So, Peorians, if you're looking for a place to take your vehicle. I recommend Midas on Glen. You can tell them Charity sent you.

3 comments:

Andrea Hardman said...

I love, love, love your family picture. I briefly thought about stealing the idea but then everyone would ask if my kids could play (and they'd be SO impressed) and I'd have to admit that they only play the drums and that "the drums" equals anything with a flat surface that they can bang on. Soooooo...... I decided probably not. But I love the pic. And I wish we lived close so that we could know what's up with our van from a trusty mechanic!

Scottie and Tasha said...

Your family picture is awesome. I just love everything about it, the colors, poses (I love natural), etc.) What a great idea.

I would love to find a mechanic like that!

Kendall and Melissa said...

Good to know. :) I love that Kendall used to work in the service dept of a dealership, so he knows all the ins and outs. It's so hard to find honest mechanics!