Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Past

We have a lot of pictures from the "olden" days. You know, back before digital cameras. I would like to eventually get them all scanned into the computer. I have scanned some in for the blog in the past, so I thought that would be a good way to continue. I'm hoping to scan several pictures of Christmases past in the next several days. I think it will also be a nice trip down memory lane for me, and help add to the Christmas spirit.

So, the first batch is from Christmas 1993. The first Christmas for Rick and I as a married couple. We had a small two bedrooom apartment on the south end of Provo (right across from the Provo City Cemetery). Rick's parents were very kind and bought us a real Christmas tree for our first Christmas. I remember going with his family to the tree farm and picking it out, and then coming back to our apartment and rigging it up. We had inherited some decorations from his grandparents. I remember thinking our tree looked great. Looking at the picture now, I kind of wonder what I was thinking, but it does still bring back happy memories. A funny story about our tree- we got it on a Saturday. Sunday when we came home from Church, we opened the door to a room full of Christmas tree. It had fallen over and literally filled our front room (the room was that small, and the tree was that big). We laughed then, and it continues to be a memory we enjoy recalling.
We drove to Indiana that Christmas, to spend with my family. I had to include this picture of Rick reading to my nieces Kailee and Brittany, because I remember how much they loved him. And I remember knowing he was going to be a fantastic daddy by the way he interacted with them.
My entire family was together that Christmas in my parents' house. I think it happened again two years later, but since then it hasn't happened. We numbered 14 then. We now number 50.

Music is one of my greatest Christmas memories with my family. Here's a shot of my brothers, dad and Grandpa singing Christmas hymns on Christmas Eve. I remember this really well.

Grandma and Grandpa were there on Christmas Eve. We plan to travel to Crawfordsville again this year, largely to visit these two. Grandpa turned 90 last March, and Grandma will be 90 in Januray.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing!

Scottie and Tasha said...

That's exactly how I remember Rick looking- I haven't seen him for so long and I was so little whenever we got together for family things at our grandparents house that I don't remember him a whole lot- it was fun for me to remember too. Thanks for the post!

The Linabooty's said...

Great idea to load up all your old pics! Once you load them all you should make them into a book on blurb then you could bring it out every year for the holidays:)

Amy T said...

I'm glad you're doing this. I like traveling down memory lane. . .