Sixty-five years ago, an angel was sent to the Earth. Her parents named her Ruthanne. Those who love her today refer to her as Nanny. I call her Mom.It's difficult to explain all the wonderful things I have learned from my mother. As I pondered what to write in this post, one word kept coming back to me. STRENGTH. My mom's family moved many times when she was young, because of her Dad's work. She didn't let this weaken who she was, but it has added to her strength. As a young college student, together with her fiance, she had the strength and courage to find out what was different about the German professor they both admired so much. They discovered that he was a Mormon, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Intrigued, they began to learn more. Shortly after they were married, they were baptized into this Church, setting their feet upon a path they knew was right. They could never have comprehended at that moment what that would mean for those who came after them.
And, talk about strength. She had 7 children in 9 1/2 years, and then raised them too : ). These were not your average quiet wallflowers either. These were seven strong-willed, opinionated, intelligent, involved children. They all call her blessed, as she has been a strength to everyone of us throughout our lives. We are all who we were today in large part because of who she is, and the dedication that she had/has as a mother. This photo shows her at about the age and stage of motherhood that I am in now. My kids are not quite as close, and there are only 5, but at this time she had little ones, and older ones. She made it through beautifully, and I can too, especially having her example to look to.In reality, I've only touched on a few of the wonderful attributes of my mother. I haven't even discussed her love of learning, or gift of music. As I continue in my journey of motherhood, my understanding of all she has done for me and my family expands, and in the process my love and admiration for her increases.
Happy Birthday, Mom.
2 comments:
Amen and ditto! A wonderful post, Charity! I can't wait to hear about how much crying mom does when she reads/views it! Love you Mom!
What an amazing woman, and such a touching tribute to her!
Post a Comment