Thursday, August 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Daniel!!!

Today was our dear little boy's 3rd birthday. We are so glad that Daniel is part of our family. He brings lots of fun, and makes us all laugh. We woke up this morning and had chocolate milk with breakfast, in honor of Daniel's birthday. He and I said goodbye to everyone, and spent a lot of the day working on his cake (and doing laundry, and watching Jacqi's kids for a little bit, and...). He's been telling us for awhile that he wanted a shark cake. Here he is eating dinner on the celebration plate. Dinner was his choice, chicken nuggets and french fries : ).
The Shark Cake


I took a few pictures along the way, just in case any of you were interested in the process. Step one was baking the cake in a jelly roll pan (no photo of that, use your imagination). Step two was searching on Google images for pictures of sharks, and studying them. Here's a picture of Step 3, cutting the pieces and putting them together.
Step 4 was the crumb layer. Applying a thin (as thin as possible) layer of frosting to the entire cake to form a surface that could be decorated. The result, a crumby shark (ha ha!).
Then, Step 5 was decorating. I used inverted chocolate chips for the eyes, and melted chocolate chips for the gills and writing. Daniel liked it, and when each of the kids came home from school and saw it, they were pretty impressed. I must say, that made me feel good. : )

Happy Birthday, Daniel!! We love you!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed too! Great cake and Happy Birthday Daniel!

MarySquare said...

Wow you talented lady you! And Yay for shark cakes and the boy who loves them.

Charity said...

Nice to hear from you, Mary. I didn't know you were still drping by...

Andrea said...

My goodness he's 3 already! It just seems like yesterday when he was chillin' in his carrier listening to us sing. Happy Birthday Daniel! And kudos on the awesome cake too Charity :)

Tera said...

I love the cake! I am glad the day went well.

Amy T said...

The cake looks great! Happy birthday, Daniel!

Arin and Troy said...

I think that is about the cutest cake I have ever seen! Thanks for giving us your blog address. Troy is really excited to get back in touch with his cousins after being out of the loop for so long. I know he wishes now that he would have done it alot sooner. Feel free to check in on us as often as you would like. :)