I've decided that this summer we (my children and I) are going to find a way to serve others every Wednesday. Some of the ideas I've come up with are:
Midwest Food Bank
Garbage clean up
Help women who have had babies recently
Help elderly friends who are alone
Nursing homes/retirement homes
Today, we spent about an hour cleaning up garbage near the elementary school, along a sidewalk that is used by runners and walkers. We got a lot of garbage!
If you are still reading this blog, and have some ideas of things we could do, please share them with me. Thanks!
If you are still reading this blog, and have some ideas of things we could do, please share them with me. Thanks!
3 comments:
Still reading, and great list!
In college I used to volunteer at a homeless shelter, and I loved it. The one in Lafayette had programs for tutoring children (although I guess that would be during the school year) and you can take meals and/or serve meals. Depending on how much interaction you want to expose your children to, you could just take meals and drop them off. Anyway, it's something you could look into, call your local place and see what if any needs there might be there. I also volunteered a couple times to be an overnight... person? I'm not sure what I was called, but they need so many people to spend the night, to sign people in when they come, give them their toiletry supplies, whatever, anyway, if you felt one of your children was old enough for that it was a really interesting experience.
Service days sound awesome! Dyou you all travel?
Post a Comment