Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful

Ask Dailie her favorite holiday, and she'll tell you it's Thanksgiving. Although she's a big fan of mashed potatoes and rolls, I don't think that's the reason. She's 13, but this has been her favorite holiday for a long time. And you know, I sure do like it a lot too. What is it about this holiday? This picture captures a lot of it:
Do you see any commercialization? Do you see bowls of specialty candy (although there are a lot of pies), or wrappings galore? I see family members who don't see each other so often, working together, enjoying each others company. There's something nice about the calm of Thanksgiving Day. Granted for the cooks it can be a little stressful, but really that's the only thing that has to happen that day, and even the meal doesn't have to be at any certain time. And for me, the cooking is enjoyable especially when I'm doing it surrounded by those I love. Don't get me wrong, I love the chance to focus on the Savior at Christmas and Easter. And the feeling of Christmas is magical to me, but there's something about Thanksgiving that seems the most untouched.

And of course when you get to sit down to a spread like this, it's pretty nice too : )

The feast makes me feel so grateful for all the bounteous blessings that I have. It's as if each dish, each bite, represents another treasure in my life for which I am so grateful.

So, thank you Thanksgiving, for remaining calm, peaceful and untouched by the market driven society of today. Thank you for the reminder of the blessings in my life and providing the day to dwell on them.

No comments: