Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Camping

We have had some amazing late summer/early fall days recently. You know, the kind where you want to spend the whole day outside. And when you go outside, you wonder what you've been doing inside. We decided it was perfect camping weather, and decided to take advantage of the day off. There's an old Boy Scout Camp near us that is now owned by the Park District. We got a campsite there and headed out Sunday evening.

Since we were pulling things together at the last minute, we didn't have an egg carton for the eggs (I take mine out and put them in the container thingy in the fridge). Dallin came up with this great idea to transport the eggs in the cooler. It worked beautifully.

We didn't do much Sunday night other than get the tent set up, but the kids had fun with the carts that are used to transport gear from the parking lot to the campsite. Dallin was a willing work horse. We later enjoyed sitting around the campfire, eating s'mores. Yum!


Monday morning we slowly got up. The morning had just enough chill to want a cup of hot chocolate. It was lovely. Then we had some sausage and eggs, and just chilled around the campfire. The boys had to get sticks.

What is it with boys and sticks?


We packed up camp and went over to the little lake. We had brought the canoe from home, and enjoyed taking it out.
Next we did some fishing. Unfortunately, the only catch made happened before we had the camera out and ready for pictures. But Dallin caught a nice bass right away. After that, no one caught anything, but I think they all had fun anyway.



It was a perfect day to spend as a family.

4 comments:

Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

I don't think it is a boy thing with sticks. Addy loves sticks too and we have a collection of them by our door. By the way, tell Rick he looks great!

Kelly said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun! I love family time!

I also thought sticks were a boy thing too, until Heidi came along and now she needs sticks too. hmmm...still wondering. :)

Rick, how much weight have you lost? (oh...maybe that's too personal to ask on a blog). You look great! Are you still running lots?

The Sims Family said...

Yeah, Emma likes sticks too!

I love that last picture of Rick and Daniel. What a great shot.

Charity said...

Yes, Wendy, I love that picture too. I'm thinking of framing it.

Kelly and Amy, I relayed the message to Rick, and he thanks you. He is not currently running, nor has he been some June, due to some pain in his hip. He's had an X-ray, and an MRI and they still haven't found what is causing the pain. He starts Physical Therapy this week. We're stumped.

He has lost nearly 40 pounds!!