Saturday, June 19, 2010

Steamboat

Many of you know that Rick has been running, getting in shape and losing weight. From March to June he ran in one organized race each month, culminating in the Steamboat Classic. The four-mile race has been described as the world’s fastest. The world best times for both men and women, have been set at the Steamboat Classic. Elite runners from all over the world run in this race every year, and it is held, right here in Peoria, IL. It is also quite the local event, and it was lots of fun to be a (little, tiny)part of it this year. It was a beautiful morning. Here's Rick before the race, with the I-74 bridge over the Illinois River behind him.
This year there were 5600 runners in the race. I thought this picture captured the mass of the crowd, with the Caterpillar World Headquarters as a backdrop.

And here comes Rick on the home stretch (in the white hat. Also this is not an endorsement for Budweiser). He finished with a personal best. He tells the kids he set a world record. It was the fastest he's ever run 4 miles anywhere in the world : ).
I think sometimes Rick thinks he annoys me with all the talk of running, and focus that he has given in the last year or so, but the truth is, I'm so happy for Rick. He has set some tough goals for himself, and I am so pleased with the lifestyle changes that he has made. So far he has lost 38 lbs, and he's not done yet. He's at a weight right now that he's not been at since our first couple years of marriage. He'll tell you he's doing it so that he doesn't die long before me. He says he's afraid of the trouble he'd get in on the other side when I join him if he did that. I guess I'll just take the good from that comment....

2 comments:

Amy Rose said...

It's a good thing you mentioned this was NOT a budweiser endorsement, I was getting all ready to be so so scandalized.

Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

Way to go Rick! I can't wait until I can start losing weight again after the pregnancy.