Friday, August 8, 2008

Brother, Uncle, Hero

This week has been a week that will be engraven in our minds for years to come. I only hope that we will always be able to remember the many miracles that we have experienced. On Saturday, family began arriving for the blessed event of Sarah's wedding. Saturday night Kevin and Tera arrived after a long day of flying. Kevin struggled to get his breath, and we all thought some rest was what he would need to recover for the wedding.

Sunday came, along with more family, and Kevin rested, but got progressively worse. He thought if he could get some oxygen, he'd be better off. He was taken to the ER Sunday night, and was about to come home early Monday morning, but thought perhaps another day or two in the hospital was what he needed to recover for the wedding.

Monday came and went, with more rest, and we all began to see that it would not be possible to make it to the wedding. Tuesday Kevin was brought home to our house, and set up with hospice care. The wedding was yesterday, Thursday. Kevin slipped away from this Earth Wednesday evening at about 6:20 pm, leaving behind the body ravaged by cancer. We all know that he was there, in the temple for the wedding.

I just don't know where to start to describe to you the kind of person that Kevin was, and is. His life was exemplary. Kind, exuberant, full of love, positive, and so much more. He will always be loved, and he will be missed. We love you, Kevin, and are grateful that you are no longer in pain or discomfort. We'll all look forward to the day when we will see you again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I know this has been very hard for your family. What a blessing to be together at a time like this.

Brooks Dame said...

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I knew Kev from School (byu) freshman year. He was a great guy and will be missed.

Andrea said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss and please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Mrs. Mike said...

Oh Rick and Charity - I am in tears right now reading this news. You write so beautifully about such a difficult and sacred experience. Our prayers are with you and your family.