Saturday, April 5, 2008

Too Many Choices!!

I learned yesterday of a free online journal service called LDSjournal at their website www.ldsjournal.com . It looks great, but now I'm trying to decide what I want to do. First, there were the family web pages, for both the Jeffs family and the Thompson family. This has been a great way to share news with the family, as well as pictures, and calendaring items. THEN, I started this blog. The circle of sharing expanded to friends, and the content increased. I post more pictures on the blog, and use it more as a journal. I started the blog because I felt it would help me to do a better job journalling family items, as well as taking and labelling pictures. It has helped with this. I remember much more often to grab the camera, and I'm quicker to upload the pictures onto the computer, and the ones that get posted even get captions. I also love reading comments people post on the blog. There's something validating about people commenting on my daily life : ). So the main pro of LDSjournal is also the main con. It's nice because it's personal. I can use it truly as a personal journal. No one else will read it, unless I share it with them. I like the security of that. I've never been thrilled to know that it is possible for complete strangers to read my blog, but I've figured I've minimized the risks. The down side is that no one else can read it. No more comments. So, the question is, do I start an online journal as well as the blog and family website, or do I narrow it down? And if I keep all three, how do I balance the things I choose to post? I think I would post things much less frequently on the blog, maybe just major events. In that case, should I even keep it because those things will be posted on the family website, and the large majority of people that read the blog read the family website as well. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do.....I welcome any of your thoughts on the subject.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charity now you have me wondering too. That looks like a great website. I guess since I feel like this has rekindled some old friendships that probably never would have been I will keep the blog and try the journal thing. My family wbsite is rarely used anymore so that's easy I guess. Who has time for all this? I like your blog but you have to decide what you can do.

Unknown said...

Charity, this reminds me very much of the dilema in which Lehi and his descendants must have found themselves, especially with the lack of available print media that we have today. You'll recall that even they had two sets of plates, one for the spiritual things they "considered to be most precious" and other plates that "[contained] the history of this people which are called the people of Nephi". (Jacob 1:1-4) You raise an interesting question, especially in light of the counsel that we have received recently in our ward, which is to keep a journal pertaining to spiritual matters, and not necessarily concern ourselves so much with daily happenings. Perhaps this could work for you to use the LDS journal website for things that are sacred and personal, and the blog for things that you don't mind for the whole world to know. Of course, you could always post to both on occasions that you see fit, since copying and pasting can be very helpful to do this. You'll have to tell me what you decide. I've always worried about having a e-journal, so-to-speak because of being able to pass it on to posterity. I guess that's because I've always looked at journal writing from the perspective of how it might benefit my descendants. Hope I haven't further complicated things. :-)